A wonderful, joy-filled weekend celebration
Hi All:
A summerish November Saturday in our nation’s capital blessed the happy occasion of the wedding of Jeanelle Jaclyn James and my grandson, Howard Russell Johnson. The outside ceremony at the Alumni House of George Washington University under a blue sky was positively exquisite. During the service, mental replays of another wedding just twelve years ago brought bursts of tears of remembered joy mixed with great sadness. The joy of the day certainly helped me deal with sporadic bouts with grief. Barb would have so enjoyed the day and the festivities. I like to think my little guardian angel was right there beside me.
After the ceremony we traveled to the Army Navy Country Club in Arlington for the reception. It was a wonderful party with many relatives and friends old and new. Bad knees and all, I managed to get out on the dance floor with my girls several times during the evening. I even managed to jitterbug with Deb when the one big band number played. It was a wonderful party and certainly being with all these happy people buoyed my spirits substantially.
I have realized fully just how self centering is the force of grief. One tends to see things in the light of one’s own intense internal pain. I believe this was the first time I had recognized that. I worked hard at not letting my feelings interfere with the joy of the moment for anyone including myself. I do believe the events brought a great healing to my heart. I know Barb would have wanted it so. I could almost see her out on the dance floor where she so loved to be.
After the reception the gang all adjourned to the bar in the hotel Lombard where we were staying. My kids, grandkids and friends partied until the wee hours in celebration of the new bride and groom who were right there with us. The old man finally gave in and headed up to bed at about one leaving a few stragglers to close the bar at two.
At ten the next morning everyone gathered for a brunch in the hotel dining room. Food, photos, hugs, stories and parting words were shared by all. After the brunch, the sharing and goodbyes, small groups began drifting off to prepare for parting and the travels home. I went up to the room I shared with Dee Dee and Dave to pack my bags and get ready to leave.
Deb and I walked the few blocks to the Metro station and headed for the airport. The Metro came to be since my last trip to Washington quite a few years ago. Deb walked me to the security gate in my terminal, we said our goodbyes, and she headed for her gate.
I dumped my carry-on, my shoes, belt and jacket into the trays and walked through the surveillance machine without incident. I was not sure there would be a space for me on either of the flights I had listed. Flying standby is often a gamble and this trip was not a sure thing. I was fortunate to get the last available seat on the flight to Cincy - two standby, non-revs with lower seniority numbers didn’t get on. Same story on the little jet from Cincy to Ft Wayne - I got the last available seat. Was my little guardian angel helping? I know she certainly would if she could.
I drove directly from the airport to church where our annual dinner and auction were underway. Friends Al and Norma Hayes saved me a plate so I had a nice dinner even though I arrived nearly two hours late. I had donated our once-used, lighted Christmas tree to the church for the auction and was there when it was auctioned off. The church has this dinner and auction every November to raise money for Thanksgiving and Christmas charities. Afterwards, I picked up my little Charlie at Al and Norma’s and headed home.
All in all it was a wonderful weekend and a very healing experience for me. As I was leaving church, one of the ladies gave me a little booklet on dealing with grief. I read it as soon as I was ready for bed and it was very helpful. Fortunately, I had done several of the things they suggested. One important suggestion was to participate in as many family and church functions as you can. I’m a long way from done, but the healing is progressing.
Once more - thank you all for your kindness and support. It really does help.
And, Certainly, congratulations and best wishes for the bride and groom.
With love, Ho

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home